29 Jun 2007

I begin at Oxford

I arrived at Lincoln College (Bread Loaf's campus in Oxford) on Monday afternoon after traveling for more than 24 hours. The flight from Miami to London was delayed by 4 hours, supposedly while our plane made its way from one hangar to another. I did not attempt to find out the details of such a dumb excuse! Once in Heathrow, I took a bus from bay 14 to Worcester Green (the Oxford stop) and shared a cab to Lincoln College with a fellow breadloafer.

At Lincoln College I was greeted by two porters who were charged with the task of guiding the students to their respective rooms. They were nice enough to carry BOTH of my suitcases up three flights of stairs, to room 7 located on the 13th staircase. My weary expression must have inspired pity because I read that porters do not carry suitcases!

The rooms located in the campus are comfortable. Most (like mine) have a bathroom, telephone and Ethernet connection. I have ample room to store my clothes, books and other stuff. Since I had a couple of hours before dinner, I left my suitcases and took a stroll around the town of Oxford. I came back to Lincoln College overwhelmed by the number of colleges located here and inspired by the intellectual ambiance created by the combination of buildings, parks, stores and coffee shops. It is a student’s paradise.

No comments: