27 Jul 2007

Oh! For heaven's sake!

I’ve been really thinking about what to do with the following picture.

Some alternatives include posting it on Breadnet, sending it to the photography competition, handing is as a cover sheet for my final paper, and lastly, posting it on my blog. I’ve chosen the latter.

After Mozart’s Requiem, Nichole, Chelsey and I stood outside the Lincoln College entrance while Nichole finished her cigarette. We were discussing the concert and our plans for the night when Professor Peter McCullough (my professor and Director of the Bread Loaf Program in Oxford) came out of the college, went through a small door and into the building right in front of us. I knew it was the where the professors parked their vehicles and so assumed Peter would be coming out any moment driving his car. After a couple of minutes the garage door began to open and slowly revealed the front wheel of a bike, shiny narrow brown shoes, khaki pants… Peter McCullough with a bike helmet on! I can’t figure out why, but my reaction was to scramble through my purse for my camera, take a tripod position and wait for the shot. Meanwhile, Chelsey and Nichole burst out laughing at my reaction, making the Director look directly towards us! As I took the shot (which I consider the best picture of the entire summer) I heard: “Ohhhhh, for heaven’s sake!” which, not only made me enjoy the moment infinitely more, but has become a phrase that upon hearing will forever transport me back to the summer at Oxford in 2007.

Thanks Peter!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

By far one of the most memorable moments of Oxford summer!