23 Jul 2007

Our Last High Table

Meeting with Emily Bartels, the Associate Director of the Bread Loaf School of English, after breakfast, class at 2pm and High Table.

Class is always interesting. I leave inspired by the passion and literary genius of the British writers during the 17th and 18th century. No matter what, the writers found a way to voice their opinions through poems, plays, letters and novels. The multiple layers of meaning (ranging from the political to the personal) give the works a depth that is hard to grasp in our century, when liberty is a hallmark.

After class I ran into a friend in crisis. The crisis was solved almost immediately. What is forth mentioning is that she looked to me for support. I know it takes me a while to get to know people, and so I was grateful that she thought of me and so I did my best to put her at ease.

I went to the conference at 5:30pm at the Oakshot Room. The guest speaker was Victorian literature scholar Dinah Birch. The seminar was so amazing I had absolutely no questions.

Although I enjoyed the cocktail (Debonnet and sparking lemonade), dinner was the beginning of the evening. I sat with Chelsey and Nichole who sang various songs of a movie, or play, or something (I will never see) called Oklahoma. The diner ended with an inspiring speech from Emily and an amazing chocolate tart. Afterwards most of us wondered down to Deep Hall (Lincoln College Pub) and indulged in a couple of drinks.

I never never…

Darts…

Weird English blokes…

Telling Dave what NOT to say (ever)…

It was a great night!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You'll love Oklahoma! :)